Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cutting Fabric with a Cricut




After watching the infomercials, I was very curious as to whether you could actually cut fabric with a Cricut. I am delighted to report back that you really can! Be aware that cutting fabric with a cricut will decrease the life of you blade. I used a new blade for my projects and had great results!

  • To prepare your fabric you must wash and dry fabric so that it is preshrunk and also to avoid the fabric bleeding at a later time.
  • Use a heat and bond adhesive like Heat & Bond and prepare the fabric following the directions of the adhesive.
  • Place the fabric (paper side down) onto the cricut cutting mat.
  • Adjust the cricut machine to its slowest mode.
  • Adjust the blade to 5 for lightweight to medium weight fabrics
  • Adjust the pressure to med-high depending on the weight of the fabric.
Choose your image to be cut and enjoy the end result. I am using my cricut to create fabric heat and bond patches for our pop up camper. We even tested a cricut created "patch" on a piece of heavy vinyl to assure a strong bond, and the results were a surprising success.

No comments:

Post a Comment